Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The beginning

I call myself a lazy ass. At least, I'm the laziest person I've ever seen in person, and can be quite an ass when I want to. The problem is the lazy. I've always tried to get by with the most minimal effort required, so I've never really had to work harder than "half-assed." Of course, no-one ever gets away with this for long, and I knew this. I've always known this. I just thought that only meant that the bare minimum effort would have to be "full-assed" every once in a while. What I did not foresee was that working your hardest is a habit, one that has to be both self generated AND frequent, or it won't stick onto the overthinking type. I've been trying as many things as I could think of to make myself work harder, but the work I was doing in school was escalating MUCH faster than my ability to work hard habitualy, ever since the beginning of grade 12... which isn't saying much, since I really wasn't learning much about how to work harder, except while I was tree planting.

The end of the path in front of my eyes was blindingly clear to me. If I did not learn how to work hard habitually, I would not graduate from University. Therefore, I needed to take a detour. I needed a crash course in all the different ways to work my ass off. As someone who only does the bare minimum required of me, it needed to be something where the bare minimum WAS a maximum effort. A situation where I could only obtain any of the things I needed for survival with my own two hands. Now, I'm a prideful person, and I really hate admiting defeat, so I needed consolation prizes. I had always intended to move down to Vancouver, and the only reason I went to UNBC was because it was too late to apply for UBC. The goal I had set for myself with advanced education was to get the job of a game developer. Vancouver has a large concentration of video game studios, and the job of "game tester" was feasable. Finally, the thought of having student loans, or indeed any debt of any kind, repulsed me, so being able to pay for my own education with a job would be awesome, as well as an extra motivator to make the most of the education I buy.

The first hurdle, then, is finding work, then not sucking at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment